- 5 pounds organic russet potatoes or 5 pounds organic red potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters, cooked, drained, and mashed
Butter, Milk, and Sour Cream:
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- ¼ milk
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
Place potatoes in a Dutch oven.
- Cover with cold water.
- Cover pot with lid.
- Bring to a boil; simmer for 10 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a paring knife.
- Drain water from potatoes.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add butter, milk, buttermilk, and optional sour cream.
- Using a hand mixer or the potato masher, mix until creamy.
- Add more milk and more butter in tablespoon increments for creamier mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt, and pepper.
- If you want garlic flavored potatoes add optional garlic.
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a serving bowl.