Mashed Sweet Potatoes/Yams
- 6 to 8 small yams or sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
- ¼ cup butter (½ of a stick of butter)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Peel the yams/sweet potatoes.
- Slice into 1-inch pieces.
- Place yams/sweet potatoes in a large pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, until sharp fork easily pierces a slice of yam.
- Drain the yams/sweet potatoes.
- Mash with a potato masher.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and nutmeg.
- Mix with a mixer until smooth and creamy.