Ingredients To Be Creamed and Mixed:
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 large egg yolks (save the whites in a separate mixing bowl)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⅓ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1⅓ cups strongly brewed coffee (make 2 cups setting aside the extra for the frosting)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Beaten Egg Whites to be Folded In:
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Have ready 2 standard muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Make 2 cups of strongly brewed coffee and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until light and creamy.
- Add brown sugar and beat on medium-high speed until lightened in color and texture; 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks one at a time; beating for 30 seconds on medium-high speed with each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix in.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the coffee in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute.
- Add optional chopped walnuts and mix in.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Beating on medium-high speed, gradually add the sugar to the egg whites 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Beat the egg white and sugar mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg white mixture into the cake batter.
- Spoon or ladle batter into cupcake liners so they are approximately ⅔ full.
- Batter should fill approximately 18 to 20 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.