Northern Bean Soup
- Soaking beans: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- Total time: 3 hours
Water and Beans:
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans
Ham and Ham Bone:
- 3 cups ham, chopped
- 1 ham bone (optional, use if you have one)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (¼ teaspoon if using ground thyme)
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
Slowly pour beans into a colander. Remove any dirt, pebbles, or other debris.
- Rinse beans with cold tap water.
- Let water drain from colander.
- Pour beans into a Dutch oven.
- Add 8 cups of water to Dutch oven.
- Heat water and beans to boiling in Dutch oven; boil uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add rest of ingredients to Dutch oven.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- If you added a ham bone remove it from the soup pot. Take any remaining meat from the bone, cut up and add back to soup pot. Discard the ham bone.
- Add salt to taste although ham should provide plenty of salt.