Ingredients to be Creamed:
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1½ cups sugar
Eggs and Vanilla:
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 13x9x2 oblong pan. Click here for instructions on how to prepare cake pans for baking.
- Cream butter in a work bowl.
- Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Pour batter into prepared 13x9x2 oblong cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Frost the top of the cake with Nutmeg Flavored Buttercream Frosting.
- Cut into twelve 3-inch square pieces of cake.