Oatmeal Blueberry Scones
- 1½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
Butter To Cut In:
- 10 tablespoons butter (1 stick + 2 tablespoons)
Oats, Blueberries, and Nuts to Mix In:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup blueberries, frozen
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 400°. If using a convection oven, preheat to pure convection 375°. Note: I only use pure convection if I am baking more than one cookie sheet of scones at a time.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Stir in oats and optional pecans.
- In a small bowl mix together buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Gently stir together with a fork.
- Use your hands to finish pulling the dough together into a ball.
- Mix in the frozen blueberries working quickly so they do not thaw.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Using the palm of your hand press the dough into a 1-inch thick round that is about 8 to 9-inches in diameter.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Note: For a more traditional looking scone, use a knife to cut the round into 8 triangular-shaped wedges.
- Sprinkle tops of scones with the 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Bake scones in oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.