Oven-Baked Brown Rice With Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped mushrooms (approx. 8-10 mushrooms)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2¼ cups chicken or vegetable stock
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart stovetop-to-oven covered skillet or casserole dish on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender; 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned; 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add rice and spices and stir until incorporated.
- Add broth.
- Bring to a simmer; cover and transfer to oven.
- Bake in the oven until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).