Oven Beef Stew
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Meat browning: 15 minutes
- Baking time: 2¼ hours
- Dumpling time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 3 to 3½ hours
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless beef chuck roast, or top sirloin, cut into ¼ to ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons safflower or oil of your choice
Vegetables and Broth:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and cut up into small cubes
- 4 cups beef broth
- One 14½-ounce can stewed tomatoes, cut up
- ½ bag frozen green beans or ½ bag frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Add beef cubes to plastic bag. Seal and shake to bag to coat beef with flour mixture.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a Dutch oven.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is starting to brown.
- Add meat and garlic. Cook on medium-high heat until meat is browned.
- Add carrots, potatoes, broth, tomatoes, green beans, thyme, rosemary, sage, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a simmer on the stovetop.
- Cover and transfer pot to oven.
- Bake for 2¼ hours.
- If you are serving with dumplings remove Dutch oven from oven. Place on stovetop and heat until pot is simmering. Add dumplings. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the center of the dumplings are firm to the touch. Serve.