Oven Fried Chicken
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 30 minutes (or up to 2 hours)
- Cooking time on stovetop: 10 minutes
- Cooking time in oven: 1 hour
- Total time: Approximately 2 hours
- 8 to 10 pieces of chicken with skin on
Ingredients For Coating:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup saltines, crushed (about 20 crackers) or 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sage
Oil for Cooking:
Rinse off chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour buttermilk over chicken. Turn chicken to coat both sides.
- Refrigerate chicken for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Put all coating ingredients in a gallon zip bag.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator.
- Place oven rack on lower half of oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken parts to the bag of coating a few at a time. Shake to coat with seasonings.
- Gently place chicken in skillet. Fry in batches, do not overcrowd in pan.
- Fry on each side for approximately 5 minutes or until the coating is cooked to a golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to a shallow baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.