Oven Fried Fish
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Baking time: 20 to 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound cod fillets (4 to 5 fillets), approximately ½ to 1-inch thick (any white fish fillets will work)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Flour for Dredging:
Buttermilk for Dipping:
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup panko (finely crushed bread crumbs)
- ½ teaspoon French thyme
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Melted Butter for Drizzling:
Lemon Wedges for Serving:
If you have a convection oven preheat the oven on the convection bake setting at 425°. If you don't have a convection oven preheat the oven on the regular bake setting at 425°.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x12 aluminum rectangular baking pan or a pizza pan. DO NOT USE GLASS OR CERAMIC.
- Spread the ½ cup flour out on a dinner plate or in a pie pan; set aside.
- In a shallow pie pan mix together the cornmeal, panko, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Pour buttermilk into a shallow pie pan; set aside.
- Pat fish fillets dry with a paper towel.
- Mix together ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Season both sides of fillets with the salt and pepper.
- Dredge fillets in flour until completely covered.
- Immerse each fillet in the buttermilk.
- Place each fillet in the shallow pan of panko seasoning, turning to coat each side.
- Place fillets in the baking dish.
- Drizzle melted butter over the fillets.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a sharp knife can be easily inserted into the thickest part of the fillet.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve with lemon quarters that can be squeezed over the fish if desired.