Ingredients to Sauté
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup smoked ham, cubed
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets. Peel stem and slice (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- 1 cup fresh wax beans (or one 14-ounce can wax beans, rinsed and drained)
- One 15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- One 6-ounce can of black olives; drain and halve olives
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts; drained and chopped
Rice and Chicken:
- 1½ cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup of cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- ½ pound fresh or frozen fresh medium-sized shrimp, shells removed and deveined
Heat oil in a very large frying pan.
- Add chopped onion and cook until lightly golden in color.
- Add garlic.
- Add ham and fry until crisp. Add more oil if necessary.
- Mix in chicken, rice, spices, green beans, broccoli, broccoli stems, wax beans, butter beans, olives, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, arrange shrimp on top of rice mixture.
- Cover and simmer on low for an additional 10 minutes.