- Preparing Pastry: 20 minutes
- Preparing Filling: 15 minutes
- Baking Time: 45 to 55 minutes
- Cooling Time: At least 1 hour
Peaches and Lemon Juice:
- 5 cups pitted and sliced fresh peaches (5 to 7 medium peaches), you can leave skins on or remove
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Sugar and Spice Mixture:
- ⅔ cups sugar (for brown sugar peach pie substitute ⅔ cups packed brown sugar)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Cold water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 recipe Whipped Cream (optional) or
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Using the regular bake setting, preheat oven to 425°. If you have a convection oven, select the convection bake setting and preheat to 400°.
- Prepare pastry for a standard 9-inch two-crust pie.
- Place bottom crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside.
- Roll out top crust and let rest while assembling the pie ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Adjust amount of sugar based on sweetness or tartness of peaches.
- Cut peaches in half, remove pits and thinly slice.
- Place sliced peaches in a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice to peaches and toss.
- Pour sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg mixture over peaches and mix gently.
- Turn peach mixture into a 9-inch pastry-lined pie plate.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust.
- Seal and flute.
- Using a knife, make some slits in the top crust so that air can escape during baking.
- Brush the crust with cold water.
- Sprinkle top crust with a teaspoon of sugar.
- Cover the edge of the crust with a 2 to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through the slits in the crust, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).