Peach Upside Down Cake
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Baking time: 35 minutes
- Cooling time: 30 minutes
Brown Sugar Base:
- 4 tablespoons butter (½ stick butter)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh peaches (2 to 4 peaches)
Ingredients to be Creamed For Cake Batter:
- 4 tablespoons butter (½ stick butter), softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Dry Ingredients for Cake Batter:
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Buttermilk for Cake Batter:
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Get out an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- Butter the sides of the baking pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, stir together butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon until butter is melted.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into the baking pan.
- Prepare the peaches by removing the pits and thinly slicing them. (Leave the peach skins on.)
- Arrange the peach slices over the brown sugar mixture in the baking pan. See slide show for example of how to arrange slices.
- In a large work bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to work bowl and mix in.
- Add dry ingredients to the work bowl. Mix in on low speed.
- Pour buttermilk into work bowl and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and mix the batter for 1 minute, scraping the sides as needed.
- Pour the cake batter over the peaches.
- Using a spatula, gently spread the batter over the peaches.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan.
- Cover the top of the baking pan with a serving platter.
- Turn the baking pan and platter upside down so that the platter is on the bottom and the baking pan is on the top.
- Gently lift the baking pan from the platter.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.