- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup pine nuts (or you can substitute walnuts for the pine nuts)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese in a food processor.
- With food processor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the feed tube until the pesto is the consistency of a thick paste. Add olive oil in tablespoon increments if needed.
- Remove from food processor.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).