Potato Pie Crust
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Baking time: 20 to 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 to 50 minutes
- One 9½ to 10-inch deep dish pie pan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried French thyme
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked and mashed red or yellow potatoes
Preheat oven to 425° convection bake. If you don't have a convection oven use the standard bake setting and preheat oven to 450°.
- Generously butter the sides and bottom of the deep dish pie pan; set aside.
- Peel 4 to 6 medium-sized potatoes.
- Cut into small cubes.
- Place cubes in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Immerse in water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until easily pierced with a sharp knife; about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain, mash, and set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Toss in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add moist ingredients.
- Add potatoes.
- Mix together until incorporated.
- Press the potato mixture into the pie pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.