Pumpkin Chiffon Cake
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Baking time: 60 minutes
- Cooling time: 1½ hours
- 1 ungreased 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom
Dry Ingredients To Be Sifted:
- 2¼ cups cake flour (or 2 cups flour)
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1¼ cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325°.
- Have ungreased 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom ready.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large work bowl, set aside.
- Separate the 8 eggs, saving 5 egg yolks to a large work bowl.
- Place 8 egg whites in a separate work bowl and set aside.
- Beat on high speed, the 5 egg yolks, pumpkin, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat on low until smooth; set aside.
- Add ½ teaspoon cream of tartar to the the bowl with the 8 egg whites.
- Beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Beating on high speed, gradually add the ¼ cup sugar to the egg white mixture.
- Beat the egg white and sugar mixture until the peaks are stiff but not dry.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold ¼ of the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture.
- Fold in remaining whites.
- If adding nuts, gently fold into batter.
- Scrape the batter into the tube pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; 55 to 65 minutes.
- Cool upside down for at least 1½ hours. If your tube pan does not have feet, place the tube over a bottle neck and rest the pan on 4 glasses.
- Using a straight, long metal spatula or knife, gently loosen the cake from the edges of tube pan.
- Place the flat "bottom" part of the tube on a flat surface.
- Using the metal spatula or knife, loosen the cake from the flat part of the tube.
- Place a serving platter over the tube and invert the cake onto the platter.
- Glaze with Creamy Glaze or serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).