- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 8 hours or overnight
Egg Yolk, Sugar, and Cream Mixture:
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
- ¾ cups heavy cream
Pumpkin and Spices:
- 15-ounces canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
Heavy Cream For Pumpkin Mixture:
- ½ cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1 tablespoon rum
Whipped Cream To Layer With Pumpkin Mousse:
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set aside.
- Whisk the yolks, ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and ¾ cup cream together in a medium saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat whisk continuously until thickened and the mixture coats a spatula; about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a medium bowl and set over the ice bath.
- Stir to cool; about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt to the egg mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon gelatin together.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon rum.
- Add the rum to the gelatin mixture stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Gently whisk the gelatin mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat ½ cup heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped heavy cream into the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into a shallow dish, cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To assemble the dessert begin with 6 individual serving dishes or 6 wine glasses.
- Whip 1½ cups heavy cream and 1½ tablespoons sugar until firm peaks form.
- Using approximately half of the refrigerated pumpkin mousse mixture, spoon a heaping dollup in the bottom of each of the serving dishes or wine glasses.
- Use the spoon or a small spatula to spread the mousse evenly in the serving dish.
- Add a layer of whipped cream (approximately 2 tablespoons per serving dish or wine glass), spreading evenly over the mousse.
- Repeat with a second layer of pumpkin mousse and finish off with a dollop of whipped cream.
- For an optional garnish, top with a teaspoon of the cooled candied and spicy butternut squash.
- Serve chilled.