Sugar and Spices:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
If you are making your own squash filling, follow the recipe for roasted and puréed butternut squash. This will take approximately 45 minutes to roast and another 30 minutes to an hour to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°. If you are using a convection oven choose convection bake at 400°.
- Make pie dough and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside.
- In a large work bowl, whisk together sugar and spices.
- Add the pumpkin or roasted and puréed butternut squash, half and half, and eggs.
- Beat on medium-high speed until mixed.
- Pour the filling into prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the 425° setting. 400° if you are using the convection bake setting.
- Turn oven down to 350°. 325° if you are using the convection bake setting.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.