Pumpkin Orange Spice Sweet Rolls (Cinnamon, Currant, and Pecan Filling)
- Dough Prep time: 20 minutes
- First rise: 1 hour
- Second rise: 1 hour
- Baking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yeast and Flour:
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast (or 1 packet)
- 2½ to 4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
Ingredients To Be Heated:
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespooons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
Egg, Pumpkin, Orange Zest:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
Oil For Bowl:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
Powdered Sugar Glaze For Baked Rolls:
Oil a large bowl and set aside.
- In a work bowl, whisk yeast, 1 cup of the flour, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon,
and ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves.
- In a saucepan, heat together milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt until just warm, stirring constantly until butter almost melts.
- Add the warm mixture from the saucepan to the work bowl.
- Stir with a spatula to incorporate.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, pumpkin, and orange zest to the work bowl.
- Using a dough hook, mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft, smooth, and elastic dough.
- Dough should be as soft as can be without sticking to hands or work surface.
- Shape dough into a ball.
- Place dough in the oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a slightly damp towel (flour sack towels are great for this).
- Let the dough rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch rectangular baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk ½ brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch by 16-inch rectangle.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter over the rectangle, leaving ½" not buttered on one of the short sides.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the buttered surface.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the brown sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle currants over the pecans.
- Using the bottom of a measuring cup or the back of spoon, lightly press the currants and nuts into the brown sugar mixture.
- Beginning on buttered short side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll fashion.
- Pinch seams to seal.
- With seam side down, cut roll into 12 equal slices.
- Arrange cut-side down about ½-inch apart in the prepared pan.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk; about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare Powdered Sugar Icing For Baked Goods.
- Drizzle or pipe the glaze over the warm rolls.