- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Baking time: 30 to 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Bacon or Ham:
- ½ pound bacon (about 12 slices, or 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon) or ¼ pound cooked and diced ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
Prepare pastry for 9-inch One-Crust Pie one-crust pie and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. If you are using a convection oven choose the convection bake setting at 375°.
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon into pastry-lined pan.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the bacon.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, half and half, and spices.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bacon and cheese in the pie pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean.
- Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.