Red Devils Food Cake
Ingredients to be Creamed and Mixed:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-ounces melted and cooled unsweetened chocolate
- 1-ounce melted and cooled semi-sweet chocolate
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour (or 2 cups cake flour)
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°.
- For 2-layer cake grease and flour two 9-inch pans. For rectangular cake grease and flour a 13x9x2 oblong pan.
- Click here for instructions on how to prepare cake pans for baking.
- For cupcakes see my Red Devils Food Cupcakes recipe.
- In a small bowl, melt the bitter and semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat the process until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Set the chocolate aside to cool. If you do not have a microwave click here for other options on melting chocolate.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add brown and white sugar.
- Beat on high speed for 1 minute until butter and sugar are well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds each.
- Add the melted chocolate to the work bowl and mix in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mix together the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Once all ingredients are mixed together, beat on medium high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Cake is done when it springs back from a light touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you are making two 9-inch round cakes bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool on a rack for exactly 10 minutes, remove from pans.
- Click here to see how to how to remove cakes from pans.
- Cool completely on a rack before frosting.