- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Baking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for baking sheet
- 1½ to 2 pounds of fresh broccoli
- ½ small onion, sliced into thin strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spread 1 tablespoon olive oil over the bottom of a cookie sheet or a 13-inch cast iron skillet; set aside.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stems.
- Peel the outer layer of fibrous material from the stems and slice into small pieces. (See my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems)
- Place the broccoli florets and stems in a large bowl.
- Add the onion slices.
- In a small bowl whisk the ¼ cup olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the broccoli florets, stems, and onion slices.
- Toss to coat.
- Spread the broccoli onto the cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing once 10 minutes into the baking time.
- Roast until broccoli is tender and nicely browned.