Roasted Butternut Squash (Great Substitute For Puréed Pumpkin)
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Roasting time: 30 to 45 minutes
- 1 butternut squash, about 2½ to 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel the squash. A vegetable peeler works well for this step.
- Cut the stem and bottom off of the squash.
- Stand the squash on a cutting board.
- With a large, sharp knife carefully slice the squash in halve. If this is too much for your knife, slice the neck from the rounded bottom part of the squash and then slice each piece in half.
- Use a large spoon to scoop the seeds from the squash.
- Cut the flesh of the squash into 1½-inch chunks.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter.
- Add the squash chunks to the bowl and coat with the butter.
- Spread the squash chunks out on a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan.
- Place the squash in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the squash chunks are tender, stirring once or twice.
- Let the squash cool.
- Remove the squash to a food processor.
- Purée until smooth.