Spicy Roasted Hominy
(Makes 2 cups)
Hominy and Jalapeño Pepper:
- One 25-ounce can hominy, drained
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ancho chile powder (a mild chile powder works best)
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Toss drained hominy and finely chopped jalapeño pepper in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, and spices.
- Add the olive oil mixture to the hominy and jalapeño pepper.
- Toss the hominy mixture to coat with the olive oil, garlic, and spices.
- Spread hominy mixture in an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake, stirring halfway through, until hominy is golden; about 30 minutes. Do not overbake, as the hominy will become tough and chewy.
- Remove to a serving bowl.