Rolled Gingerbread Cookies
- Refrigeration time: 2 hours
- Baking time: 20 to 30 minutes
- Cooling time: 30 minutes
- Frosting/Decorating: 30 minutes
For Single Recipe
(Makes Approximately 2 Dozen Cookies)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup molasses
- ⅓ cups cold water
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For Double Recipe
(Makes Approximately 4 Dozen Cookies)
- ⅓ cup butter (5⅓ tablespoons), softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1½ cups molasses
- ⅔ cups cold water
- 7 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in molasses and water.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hours; preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. If using a convection oven choose the pure convection setting at 325°.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets. Click here to learn more about how to grease cookie sheets.
- Lightly dust countertop with flour.
- Roll dough ¼-inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (this will help to keep dough from sticking to the cookie cutter).
- Place cookie shapes on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until no indentation remains when top of cookie is lightly pressed with tip of finger.
- Remove from sheets immediately and let cool.
- Frost with Powdered Sugar Icing For Baked Goods.
- Decorate and serve.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).