Salsa Verde (tomatillo salsa)
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
(Makes about 2 cups)
- ½ pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed (6 to 8 medium tomatillos)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño, quartered
- 1 to 2 serrano pepper, sliced in half (See below to determine how hot you want your salsa to be)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- ¼ cup cilantro sprigs
- ½ small white onion, halved
- ½ tablespoon safflower or equivalent vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust salt to your taste)
Husk and rinse the tomatillos.
- Place tomatillos in a medium saucepan.
- Cover tomatillos with water. Add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cover saucepan and simmer tomatillos until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, gently remove tomatillos from the water and place in a blender.
- Add the jalapeño, serrano pepper, garlic, cilantro, onion, and salt to the blender.
- Blend or process to a medium-coarse puree.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot enough to make a drop of the puree sizzle sharply, pour all of the puree into the skillet.
- Stirring constantly, let the puree cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until darker and thicker.
- Taste and adjust salt if necessary.