Savory Basil, Oregano, and Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed oregano
Butter to Cut In:
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons cold butter (10 tablespoons)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
If using a convection oven, preheat to 425° on the pure convection setting. If you do not have a convection oven preheat oven on regular bake setting to 450°.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the butter so that mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Add buttermilk.
- Stir with a fork until dry ingredients begin to meld with buttermilk to make a dough.
- Using your hands finish the mixing process until the mixture holds together in a ball.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle dough lightly with flour.
- Using the palm of your hand pat the dough into a 1-inch thick round.
- Cut with a 2 to 2½-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13 minutes until golden brown.