- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 non-stick skillet (a shallow pan with flared sides works best)
- 1 tablespoon butter (you can substitute bacon fat or vegetable oil for the butter)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheese of your choice
- 3 tablespoons of fried ham, bacon, or mild sausage.
- 3 tablespoons sautéd vegetables of your choice, cooked until lightly golden brown (about 3 to 5 minutes). Good candidates are mushrooms, onion, zucchini, red or yellow pepper.
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, finely chopped. Good candidates are chives, parsley, scallions.
- 1 tablespoon salsa
Crack eggs and pour into a small mixing bowl.
- Add a dash of salt and ground black pepper.
- Using a fork or whisk, beat the eggs until they are completely combined.
- If you are planning to add any sautéd vegetables to the cooked eggs, sauté the vegetables first, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet over low heat.
- Lift the pan off of the heat and swirl the butter around so that the butter is spread evenly on the bottom and sides of the pan. You can also use a heatproof spatula so spread the butter around the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pour the eggs into skillet.
- Using a heatproof rubber or metal spatula, gently push the eggs around the pan.
- The eggs will begin to set up and form into soft curds.
- Stir more quickly as the eggs begin to set up.
- Continue to stir and cook the eggs until they are just set with a creamy, moist texture; 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add any optional toppings.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.