Hold egg between your thumb and your first two fingers.
- Gently tap egg on a flat service (2 or 3 taps should be good).
- Using both hands, hold egg over a bowl and place thumbs on cracked shell.
- Using thumbs pull shell apart into two pieces.
- Hold each shell upright so contents will not spill out.
- The egg yolk will be in one shell.
- Tip the shell with the yolk into the shell without.
- The white will spill over the edges of the shell and into the bowl.
- Continue transferring the yolk from one shell half to the other, tipping the shell ever so slightly so that the white will fall into the bowl.
- When most of the white is separate from the yolk, tip the yolk into a separate bowl.
- Use whites and yolks as stated by recipe.