Shepard's Pie With Curried Meat
- Pie crust prep time: 40 minutes
- Filling preparation time: 15 minutes
- Filling cooking time: 20 minutes
- Pie baking time: 30 minutes
Potato Pie Crust:
Onion, Garlic, and Spices:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Beef or Lamb:
- 1 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 can (14 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces frozen green peas (1½ cups)
Topping For Pie:
- ½ cup panko dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Assemble and bake potato pie crust; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until a nice golden brown color; about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices to the cooked onion.
- Add beef to the skillet and cook until no pink remains, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and frozen peas to the skillet.
- Simmer the mixture over low heat for fifteen minutes; stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix panko bread crumbs with melted butter and set aside.
- Pour meat mixture over the baked potato pie crust.
- Sprinkle panko over the top of the meat.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.