Sliced Chocolate Cookies
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 24 hours
- Baking time: 8 minutes
Ingredients to be Creamed:
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-ounces unsweetened chocolate; melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a small bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat the process until the chocolate is completely melted. If you do not have a microwave click here for other options on melting chocolate.
- Set the chocolate aside to cool.
- Cream butter in a work bowl.
- Add sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg and vanilla, beating until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Mix in melted chocolate until incorporated.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Turn dough out onto a piece of waxed paper that is about 15-inches long.
- Shape dough into a rectangle that is about 3-inches wide by 10-inches long.
- Wrap the waxed paper around the dough and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. If using a convection oven choose the pure convection setting on 350°.
- Lightly grease cookies sheets and set aside. Click here to learn more about how to grease cookie sheets.
- Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise. Slice dough into ¼-inch pieces across the short side of the rectangle. Each cookie slice will be approximately 1-inch by 2-inches.
- Place cut dough on cookie sheets.
- Bake until firm, but not hard; approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Do Not Overbake!
- Cool completely on racks.
- Frost with Powdered Sugar Icing For Baked Goods.