Slow-Roasted Southwestern Pork
- Marinating time: 24 hours
- Cooking time: 3 to 4 hours
- 1 boneless pork butt or pork shoulder roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 recipe southwestern dry rub
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Trim the excess fat from the pork butt or pork roast.
- Rub the meat with the southwestern dry rub.
- For better flavor wrap the meat in heavy-duty aluminum foil and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Position rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Heat a heavy ovenproof pot large enough to hold the meat over medium heat.
- Add and heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
- Cover the pot with a lid (use foil if you do not have a lid).
- Place in oven and bake until the meat is tender enough to be shredded easily with a fork, 3 to 3½ hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot.
- Cool and shred with a fork.