Ingredients to be Creamed:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt (¼ teaspoon if butter is unsalted)
Ingredients for Rolling:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°. If using a convection oven choose the pure convection setting and set the oven on 325°. Note: If you have a convection oven, you would use the convection setting if you are baking more than one cookie sheet at a time.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets and set aside. Click here to learn more about how to grease cookie sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter on high speed until fluffy.
- Add 1¼ cups sugar to the work bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well-combined.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until well blended, scraping down sides as needed.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pull off pieces of dough and roll between your palms to make 1-inch balls.
- Roll each dough ball in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Place dough balls about 2-inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Take a measuring cup or flat bottomed glass and press down lightly on each ball.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies are light golden brown the edges and firm to the touch in the middle.
- Transfer cookies to a rack and cool.