- First fermentation: 24 hours
- Second fermentation: 2 to 3 days
- Total time: 4 days
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or 1 packet of active dry yeast)
- 3 cups warm water
- 3½ cups flour
Add yeast and warm water to a large glass bowl.
- Add flour and stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Cover with a flour sack towel or cheesecloth
- Let stand in a warm, draft-free place until the starter begins to ferment; about 24 hours. Bubbles will appear on the surface of the starter when fermentation has begun.
- If fermentation does not occur after 24 hours, discard and begin again.
- Stir well, cover tightly with plastic wrap and return to warm place.
- Let stand until foamy, 2 to 3 days.
- Stir well and pour into a 2-quart crock or glass jar with a tight-fitting cover.
- Store in refrigerator.
- When a clear liquid has risen to the top, starter is ready to use.
- Stir before using.