Ingredients To Be Creamed and Mixed:
- 12 tablespoons, softened (1½ sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
Eggs and Vanilla:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⅓ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter add ¼ teaspoon salt)
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 13x9x2 oblong pan. For a 2-layer cake grease and flour two 9-inch round pans. Click here for instructions on how to prepare cake pans for baking.
- Click here if you would rather make spice cupcakes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy; about 1 minute.
- Add sugars and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture; 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time; beating for 30 seconds on medium-high speed with each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix in.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Beat the batter on medium-high speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared 13x9x2 cake pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan.