Spiced Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) Stew (Marga)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Vegetables To Be Sautéd:
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cubed, peeled Yukon gold potato, about 1 large
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Three 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed well and slightly mashed
Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, and Broth:
- One 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth (1 quart)
Spinach and Cilantro:
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add vegetables and sauté until they begin to soften; 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in spices.
- Pour the rinsed and drained chickpeas into a shallow bowl.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the chickpeas so that some are slightly mashed and others are still whole.
- Add the mashed chickpeas to the pot.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in the coarsely chopped spinach and cilantro.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Serve with Middle Eastern Steamed Rice.