- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Ingredients to be Creamed and Mixed:
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cups sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 13x9x2 oblong baking pan.
- Beat butter and sugar on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl whisk together sour cream and vanilla; set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg to butter mixture. Slowly incorporate on low mixer speed.
- Add sour cream mixture and beat on medium speed until batter is smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the batter with the streusel topping of your choice: oatmeal streusel topping, nut streusel topping, or coconut streusel topping.
- Bake until toothpick in center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool briefly. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).