Split Pea Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 cups water (for more flavor substitute vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1 pound dried split peas (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 red potatoes, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (¼ teaspoon if using ground thyme)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a Dutch oven.
- Cook onion and carrot in the oil until onions are light golden brown; 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sort through split peas and take out any foreign matter such as small dirt clods, small rocks, etc. I usually pour the peas slowly into a strainer and then rinse.
- Add remainder of ingredients along with rinsed split peas to Dutch oven.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.