Split Pea With Ham Soup
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Onion and Carrot:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 red potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups ham, chopped
- 1 ham bone (optional, use if you have one)
- 1 pound dried split peas (approximately 2 cups)
- 8-10 cups water (enough to cover ham bone)
Parsley and Lemon Juice:
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Heat oil on medium in a Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion and carrot in the oil until onions are light golden brown; 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add celery, potatoes, and garlic to the Dutch oven.
- Add spices and lemon zest.
- Add ham and optional ham bone.
- Slowly pour peas into a strainer removing foreign matter such as small dirt clods and small rocks, rinse the peas and allow to drain.
- Add peas to Dutch oven.
- Add water.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- If you added a ham bone remove it from the soup pot. Take any remaining meat from the bone, cut up and add back to soup pot.
- Turn off heat.
- Stir in parsley, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste.