- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooling time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- 2⅓ cups sliced fresh strawberries, (about 1 pint)
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Wash strawberries, remove stems, and slice.
- Set aside ⅔ cup of the sliced strawberries.
- Combine the remaining 1⅔ cups strawberries, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, cook uncovered stirring occasionally. The mixture will sizzle for a while, but then juice will begin to form.
- Stirring occasionally; mash a few strawberries with a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula to help produce the syrup.
- Cook until sauce barely thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Note that the sauce will thicken up slightly as it cools.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the cooked sauce.
- After the sauce has completely cooled, mix in the ⅔ cup of freshly sliced strawberries.
- Store unused portions in refrigerator.