- Preparing and Baking Biscuits: 30 minutes
- Preparing Strawberries: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1½ hours
Prepare strawberries 1 hour before serving.
- Rinse strawberries in a colander.
- Remove stems from strawberries.
- Slice strawberries into a medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle with sugar. If strawberries are sweet use ⅛ cup sugar; if tart add sugar to taste.
- Set strawberries aside so that the sugar is absorbed. The sugar will actually bring out the flavor of the strawberries after sitting for a ½ hour to an hour at room temperature.
- Prepare one recipe of Valerie's Famous Buttermilk Biscuits
- Remove biscuits from the oven and assemble the strawberry shortcakes as described in the next two steps:
- One way to assemble strawberry shortcake is open-faced. Halve a biscuit and place open face on a plate or in a bowl. Top each biscuit half with a pat of butter. Spoon strawberries onto biscuits. Top with whipped cream.
- A second way to assemble strawberry shortcake is stacked. Halve a biscuit. Place bottom half on a plate or in a bowl. Top with butter. Add whipped cream. Add a heaping spoonful of strawberries. Add top part of biscuit. Top with butter. Add heaping spoonful of strawberries and finish off with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your dessert.