- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Baking time: 1 hour
Ingredients to be Sautéd:
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick)
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 cups dried, cubed bread, cornbread, or combination of both
- 4 breakfast sausage links, fried and sliced into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
Preheat oven to 325°. If you have a convection oven you can use the Pure Convection setting at 325°, as well.
- If serving with Roasted Turkey or Roasted Chicken plan to put the stuffing in the oven (bake on the same temperature as the meat) for the last 45 minutes to 1 hour of the roasting time.
- Cook, fry, and cut up breakfast sausage. Click here for instructions on how to cook breakfast sausage.
- On medium-low heat melt butter in a skillet.
- Add celery, onion, and garlic to the skillet.
- Sauté the celery, onion, and garlic until soft; 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place dried and cubed bread in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add seasonings to the bread and toss to mix in.
- Add sausage and the cooked celery, onion, and garlic to the bowl and mix in.
- Slowly pour chicken broth over the bread cubes, tossing as you pour.
- Pour just enough broth for the bread to absorb and become soft.
- You do not want so much broth that it does not get absorbed by the bread and just pools in the bottom of the bowl.
- Spoon the stuffing into a 3 to 4-quart casserole dish, pushing it down so that it is tightly packed in the dish
- Cover the casserole dish with a lid or a piece of foil.
- If you are baking the stuffing in conjunction with a roasted turkey bake for 1 hour at the 325° regular bake or pure convection setting.
- If you are baking the stuffing in conjunction with a roasted chicken bake for 45 minutes on the 375° regular bake setting or the 350° pure convection setting.