- Refrigeration time: 2 hours
- Baking time: 6 to 9 minutes
Ingredients to be Creamed:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2⅓ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Flour for rolling
- Rolling Pin
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- You will need 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk. Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to separate eggs.
- Add moist ingredients to work bowl and mix in; scraping bowl as needed.
- Add dry ingredients to work bowl. Mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours; preferably overnight. This will allow the butter to meld with the other ingredients creating a very flavorful cookie.
- Preheat oven to 350°. If using a convection oven choose the pure convection setting and preheat to 325°.
- Lightly grease cookies sheets and set aside. Click here to learn more about how to grease cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle countertop with flour. Roll dough out to approximately ¼-inch thickness. Cut out desired shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheets.
- If sprinkling with sugar, do so before baking.
- Bake cookies for 6 to 9 minutes until a light golden brown in color. Do not over bake.
- To frost and decorate the cookies let them cool completely and frost with Powdered Sugar Icing For Baked Goods.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).