Sunflower Seed and Yogurt Bread
- Dough Prep time: 20 minutes
- First rise: 1 hour
- Second rise: 45 minutes
- Baking time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
Moist Ingredients To Add to Yeast Mixture:
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons salt
Flour and Sunflower Seeds:
- ½ cup hulled and roasted sunflower seeds, finely ground
- 1¼ cups hulled and roasted sunflower seeds
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 5 to 5½ cups all purpose flour
Sunflower Seeds for Pans:
- 5 to 6 tablespoons hulled and roasted sunflower seeds
Egg White Glaze:
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
In a food processor, grind ½ cup hulled and roasted sunflower seeds until very fine; set aside.
- In large bowl of heavy-duty mixer, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Separate one egg white to a small bowl and set aside for the glaze.
- Add honey, oil, yogurt, egg, egg yolk, 2½ cups all purpose flour to yeast mixture.
- Using a electric mixer or the paddle attachment for a stand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Remove mixer or paddle attachments from bowl.
- Insert a dough hook into the stand mixer.
- Add whole wheat flour, ½ cup finely ground sunflower seeds, 1¼ cups hulled and roasted sunflower seeds, and enough of the remaining all purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Grease a large glass or ceramic bowl with the vegetable oil; set aside.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in prepared oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a slightly damp towel (flour sack towels are great for this).
- Let the dough rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Generously grease 2 standard loaf pans. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons hulled and roasted sunflower seeds over the bottom and sides of each pan; set aside.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough for 30 seconds.
- Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes
- Divide dough in half; shape into loaves.
- Place in prepared pans.
- Cover pans with a dry towel.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Slash tops of loaves with 3 diagonal slashes.
- Whisk 1 egg white with 2 teaspoons of water.
- Brush tops of loaves with egg white glaze.
- Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds each unbaked loaf.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped with fingertip.
- Remove from pans. Cool on racks.