- Preparation time: 15 minutes
For Single Recipe
(Makes about 1¼ cups)
- 2 cups hulled sesame seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
For Double recipe
(Makes about 2½ cups)
- 4 cups hulled sesame seeds
- ½ cup olive oil
Heat a wide, dry frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the sesame seeds to the pan.
- Stir constantly until the seeds darken slightly and are fragrant, but not brown.
- Remove sesame seeds from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour cooled sesame seeds into a food processor.
- Pulse the food processor until a crumbly paste begins to form.
- Add olive oil a tablespoon at a time until the tahini becomes a smooth paste.
- Scrape down the bowl and pulse the food processor one more time to make sure the tahini is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate unused portions.