Triple Berry Pie
- Preparing Pastry: 15 minutes
- Preparing Filling: 15 minutes
- Baking Time: 45 to 60 minutes
- Cooling Time: At least 1 hour
- 1 standard 9-inch double pie crust
- 1¼ to 1½ cups sugar (adjust sugar based on tartness berries)
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 recipe Whipped cream (optional) or
- Vanilla ice cream
Using the regular bake setting, preheat oven to 425°. If you have a convection oven, select the convection bake setting and preheat to 400°.
- Prepare 1 standard 9-inch double pie crust.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar, flour, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Pour the blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour, and cinnamon mixture to the large bowl.
- Gently toss the fruit and sugar mixture together.
- Turn berry mixture into a 9-inch pastry-lined pie plate.
- Sprinkle the berries with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust.
- Seal and flute the crust.
- Make some slits in the top crust with a knife so that air can escape during baking.
- If desired, brush the top crust with cold water and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Cover the edge of the crust with a 2 to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through the slits in the crust, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Do not undercook! The filling needs to heat through so that the flour can thicken up properly.
- Cool for 1 hour.