Vanilla Cream Pie
- Baked Pie Shell: 20 minutes
- Preparing and Cooking Filling: 30 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 2 to 48 hours
Ingredients to Thicken and Cook on Stove:
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
Egg Yolks to be Incorporated:
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
Ingredients to Add to Thickened Mixture:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream pies must be refrigerated for at least 2 hours in order to set up properly before serving. Make sure you allow enough time for this important step.
- Bake pie shell; set aside to cool.
- Measure out the milk and set aside.
- Separate eggs saving egg yolks only. Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to separate eggs.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl; set aside.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Stir in milk gradually.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Be patient, this can take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat.
- Working fast and stirring vigorously with a whisk, gradually pour at least half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. This method will ensure that the yolks do not cook in the hot liquid and form lumps in the filling.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot mixture in the saucepan, whisking vigorously.
- Turn the heat on to medium. Boil and stir the mixture for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla. Whisk until well-incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell; press plastic wrap onto the filling.
- Refrigerate completed pie at least 2 hours but no longer than 48 hours before serving.
- Remove plastic wrap and serve.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).