Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Ingredients to Sauté:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely diced
Garlic, Celery, and Potatoes:
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
Vegetables, Lentils, and Lemon to Add to Pot:
- 2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed (one 16-ounce bag)
- 8 cups water or vegetable stock
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Spices to Add to Pot:
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients to Add In Last 5 Minutes:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan (optional)
Heat oil in a 5 quart Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add onion and carrots.
- Cook until nicely golden brown and tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, and potatoes, toss to mix.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, and spices.
- Add water or vegetable stock and dry sherry.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Cover the pot.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender; 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and parsley. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste.