Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Ingredients to Sauté:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
Vegetables, Lentils, and Lemon to Add to Pot:
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed (one 16 ounce bag)
- One 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Spices to Add to Pot:
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients to Add In Last 5 Minutes:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan (optional)
Heat oil in a 5 quart Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Cook for 10 minutes until nicely golden brown and tender.
- Add celery, potatoes (optional), lentils, tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and dry sherry.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Cover the pot.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until lentils are tender; 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and parsley. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.