Grandma Dorothy's Waffle Bread
- Dough Prep time: 20 minutes
- First rise: 1½ hours
- Second rise: 30 minutes
- Baking time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
Ingredients to Add to Work Bowl:
- ¾ cup milk, brought to a simmer and cooled
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, softened (½ stick)
- 3½ to 4½ cups flour
Melted Butter to Brush on Top:
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cream or milk
Butter two 8-inch square baking pans; set aside.
- In a small saucepan bring ¾ cup of milk to a simmer, stirring frequently. Remove milk from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large work bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add cooled milk, ¼ cup sugar, salt, egg, ¼ cup butter, and 2 cups flour.
- Using a electric mixer or the paddle attachment for a stand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Remove mixer or paddle attachments from bowl.
- Insert a dough hook into the stand mixer.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough will be soft and buttery, but not sticky to the touch.
- Grease a large bowl with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Place dough in bowl, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a slightly damp towel (flour sack towels are great for this).
- Let the dough rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough for 30 seconds.
- Cover dough and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While the dough is resting mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each piece into an 8-inch square.
- Cut the first square into eight 1-inch strips of dough.
- Get out the first prepared 8-inch pan.
- Lay 4 strips of dough 1-inch apart in the bottom of the first pan.
- Weave the next 4 strips of dough across the first strips of dough, making sure they are also 1-inch apart and perpendicular to the 4 strips of dough on the bottom of the pan.
- Brush the strips generously with melted butter. If possible, gently lift the intersecting pieces of dough and brush butter in between.
- Sprinkle ½ of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over the first pan of dough. If possible, try to sprinkle the brown sugar mixture in between intersecting pieces of dough.
- Prepare the second pan of dough following the same steps as used for the first pan.
- If using ground walnuts, sprinkle half over the first pan of dough and the remainder over the other pan of dough.
- Cover with a dry towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Turn out immediately onto an inverted platter, or serve from the pan.
- For sweeter waffle bread, drizzle with optional glaze just before serving.
- Serve warm.