Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Chilling time: 2 hours
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate; finely chopped (You can substitute ¾ cup dark chocolate chocolate chips which don't require chopping.)
Start this frosting at least 4 to 6 hours in advance of when you need to use it.
- Whisking constantly, bring heavy whipped cream to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk until perfectly smooth. Scrap bottom of pan with spatula to make sure all chocolate is melted.
- Cover and chill for at least several hours. (The ganache can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.)
- To use, beat on low to medium speed just until the ganache is thickened and begins to hold a shape; do no overbeat.
- Use immediately.
- Refrigerate unused portions.
Recipe from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).